General Nursing Midwifery (GNM)
About General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM)
GNM, or general nursing and midwifery, is a three-year program that requires a six-month internship that deals with a specific area of nursing practice, such as maternity care, post-trauma rehabilitation, mental health care, data collection, and so on. In India, there are 1936 nursing colleges with 1,00,930 seats. State governments administer entrance examinations for GNM admission. GNM Admission does not have a central examination. In order to be considered for admission to the GNM, 12th-grade students must complete a Science course.
General Nursing and Midwifery is GNM in its full form. In 1871, four students attended Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital in Chennai to begin training midwives for the first time in India. In order to be eligible for GNM, students must pass English and Science in 12th grade.
GNM Nursing Course Details
GNM Full Form
General Nursing and Midwifery
GNM Nursing Duration
3 Years 6 Months
GNM Nursing Qualification
GNM Nursing Admission Process
State Level entrance exams
Types of GNM Courses
Basic, Post Basic, and Distant GNM
GNM Nursing Entrance exams
WBJEE ANM-GNM, Kerala GNM, Maharashtra GNM
3-4 months after the exam
CMC Vellore, St John’s Medical College, Jamia Hamdard University, CMC Ludhiana
Courses after GNM
BSc Nursing, Master in Nursing & PhD Nursing
GNM Course Fee
INR 40,000 - INR 1,00,000
GNM salary in India
INR 4,00,000 - INR 7,00,000
GNM Job Role
Pharmaceutical Industry, Technical Industry, Research Labs, etc
GNM Admission Process
GNM Nursing course admissions are chiefly offered through the result score of various state-level entrance exams.
Note: IGNOU New Delhi also offers a GNM Nursing Distance Learning program for students.
1) To take the GNM Nursing exams, candidates must have completed 10+2.
2) Students are required to submit an application and pay the admission fees. They will receive direct admission if their score meets the criteria of the college they intend to attend.
GNM Eligibility Criteria
The primary requirements to enroll in a GNM Nursing program in India are outlined below.
1) Students must have passed the Science stream's 10+2 exam, with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as required courses.
2) Additionally, candidates must have scored at least 50% on their qualifying examinations. Some of the best medical schools that offer the GNM Nursing program require a 60% GPA.
3) Their GNM Nursing Entrance Exam Result must also contain the minimum number of marks required.
GNM Nursing: Exam Date 2023
The GNM Nursing entrance exams are administered by India's various State Departments. For admission to the GNM program, each state administers its own admissions test.